M2 Reverse Osmosis (RO) Independent Water Project

Mirfa 2 Reverse Osmosis (M2 RO) Independent Water Project will see desalination of seawater using RO to supply up to 120 million imperial gallons of water per day, equivalent to 550,000 cubic metres of potable water per day, sufficient to meet the water demand of up to 210,000 households in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.

While improving the water supply security in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, M2 RO will play an instrumental role in enhancing production efficiency and maximising resilience, while also delivering a reduction in CO2 emissions.

The M2 RO project will be located adjacent to the existing Mirfa 1 Plant, approximately 110 kilometres West of the city of Abu Dhabi. It will involve the development, financing, construction, operation, maintenance and ownership of a standalone greenfield RO seawater desalination plant. The expected date for starting commercial operations of the plant is Q3 2025.

M2 RO plant will be 60 per cent owned by TAQA, while the remaining 40 per cent will be owned by ENGIE.

120 Million

Imperial gallons of water produced per day


Expected start of commercial operations